Sunday, 31 August 2014

So a new era starts....

Change

Its an interesting thing is change.  I have often run away from this, much to my own disappointment.  After spending many years and unsuccessful "jumping through hoops" for promotion, the decision to up sticks and move so to speak was clear.
Three months later, I find myself on the doorstep to what could be a successful and equally risky scenario, introducing Computer Science at an inner city school, with what some would say, undesirable catchment areas.
Why do this? Why physically put myself through the stress, quite simply, because I can.  In recent months I have found myself continously wanting to not just step, but leap out of my comfort zone...what better a way :)
I sit here, relatively tired, but knowing that my "first day back" nerves will set in about 11pm forcing that ever uncontrollable "you will not sleep this evening" mantra....I accept this fact, as does any teacher that knows the role well.


With great power comes great responsibility 

Forever a movie buff, I find the often quoted above line, sums up my new steps in life very well.  Already I am equally terrified as I am excited at being given something to get my teeth into, that is, the full introduction of Computer Science across both key stages.

All the hard work set for the next year, will become as old hat as didactic teaching by the end of June 2015, which means all the hard work, sweat, and stress over my summer holidays will be for nothing....or will it?

I distinctly remember being told that as the years goes on, teaching becomes easier, but the workload exponentially increases, boy, is that the case.  I wont digress on the reasons for having to do two full school curricula within 12 months, but for the school I am going to, it makes sense, and hopefully, the pupils (and teachers for that matter) will enjoy it.

Onwards and upwards

The best thing about my job, not just my subject, is change, I have learnt to accept this (being one who hates change this was not easy).  Every day goes by, bringing new troubles and enjoyments.  Particularly within my subject area, which has become Computer Science, we have to continuously adapt and change, in 12 months, what we are teaching today becomes horribly old fashioned.  It is with great belief, I feel that as a subject. Computer Science is perhaps going to be one of the hardest to "get right".   Ok, we could implement a syllabus, and teach it year in year out, because "it works" or just to tick those lovely Ofsted boxes we are all so very fond of.  But doesn't this destroy the very nature of Computer Science, and why the government decided that this needed to be offered as a GCSE subject.
Its from the pupils I will be teaching that will drive where this topic goes, we as teachers, are often reluctant to bridge the gap between what we want children to learn, and what they actually want to learn.  The curricula I offer will be driven by Pupil Voice sections.  It is important, that if I want to engage my pupils, they need to want to be engaged, so teach them what they want! (within reason!)


No comments:

Post a Comment